Sunday, March 27, 2016

Weekly Report & Reflection Post #11


Turn your volume up (but not too loud!), and enjoy this Voki!

Creative Commons License This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.


Greetings fellow bloggers!

This week I had the opportunity to explore and play with quite a few online tools that I will be filing under "Creating" and "Collaborating" tools in my PLE.

First, as mentioned in my Screencast page, I learned how to use Jing (to capture images and videos), and Screencast (to store and share the captured information with others).

Second, I stumbled upon a tool called Powtoon.com. A fantastic tool for creating fun videos that can engage, captivate and inform your audience. That's what I used to create my Screencast video.

Third, I explored Voki, an educational tool that lets us create characters that can talk, either using our recorded voice or a computer generate voice.

This course has introduced me to a few digital tools that I don't think I would have heard about or considered using before. All the activities helped me develop my digital literacy, which mainly is learning about the technology, how to properly use it, and share that information with others (Ribble, 2015), which is what we have all been doing for the past eleven weeks! Moreover, last week's activity, where we had to create a slide show (I used Animoto) taught me a lot about Copyright and Creative Commons. Now, when I search for images or content online to incorporate in my presentations, I am conscious that I'm using someone else's work, and that I need to cite correctly it (or acknowledge the creator) and the credits need to be included in my work.

I must say that learning about digital citizenship has made me more aware of my interactions online and that of others. I wonder if every citizen was educated on how to use online tools correctly, would the information that we get bombarded with on a daily basis be a bit better? I'll repost the t.h.i.n.k. picture because this acronym that succinctly states what everyone should consider before posting something online. It also ties in well with how we want to leave our digital footprint.


think [online image]

I also think that now that I have been educated on what it means to be a digital citizen, I have a responsibility to inform others on this topic. That's where all the tools I learned about and used in all these activities come in handy. Tools to organize, curate, and share my content (e.g. Evernote, Diigo, Scoop.it.); tools to teach others "how to" do something, such as the ones I explored this week. These are just some examples, and I will expand on these when I do my PLE critique paper :)


************************ 

References 

Ribble, M. (2015). Digital Citizenship in Schools (3rd ed.). Arlington, VA: International Society for Technology in Education. 

think [Online image]. Retrieved March 9, 2016 http://mwhitmoredigitalcitizenship.weebly.com/uploads/2/4/9/9/24990039/779550655.jpg?293

No comments:

Post a Comment