Sunday, February 7, 2016

Weekly Report & Reflection Post #4


Paez, I. (CC) 2016
Greetings, fellow bloggers!

This week I learned how to use Diigo, to organize and bookmark the links that I find interesting and want to revisit from time to time.  I had not heard about that site, or Delicious, before this lesson.  I decided to use Diigo as my bookmarking tool as I found it easier to use than Delicious.  What I like about this tool [Diigo] is that I can be more active when I'm reading documents on the internet; I can highlight, add sticky notes, and take screen shots.  I can also share the page and add tags for easier sorting.  Here is the link to one of the pages I bookmarked recently https://diigo.com/08cf2i. This article talks about iLKA (individual Learning Knowledge Assistant) an online tool that fosters collaborative learning.

Having access to a digital bookmark tool makes it easier to go back and review sections in web pages that I have annotated; by reexamining this information on a regular basis, I can gain a deeper understanding of the content.  However, for these bookmarks to contribute to my knowledge, I need to ensure that the pages I bookmark have valid and reliable content.  Therefore, it is is necessary that I evaluate the quality of the resource.  One excellent way to do so is by using the T.R.A.S.H. test, provided by Ipadguy 2.0 (2012),  to assess the quality of the resources.

Paez, I (CC) 2016

Another useful tool I learned about this week was Scoop.it.  As someone that has never curated content, I found the tool easy to set up and navigate.  However, this week I did not do much curating.  I was exploring the tool, learning how to use the features, what is available with the free subscription, and reading some of the curated content on the topic of Technologies Used to Enhance Learning.  Here is a link to one of the pages I scooped http://sco.lt/4vGSzh Top Four Ways to Engage Millennials in Learning Environments.

Both Diigo and Scoop.it are tools that I can add to my PLE.  Scoopt.it will be added to CREATING section; although, I am mostly curating.  Diigo will go in the ORGANIZE section.

Over the last few weeks, I have learned that becoming a digital citizenship is about educating myself and others as well.  As Riddle (2015) states, "Technology today allows many to connect with people across the room as well as around the world" (p. 57).  Tools like Diigo and Scoop.it. empower us to educate ourselves and share our knowledge with others.



=================================================================
References

Ipadguy 2.0 (2012). Evaluating web sites using the t.r.a.s.h. test!.  Retrieved Februay 4, 2016 http://www.handy4class.com/h4c2011/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/TRASH-test.pdf

Ribble, M. (2015). Digital Citizenship in Schools (3rd ed.). Arlington, VA: International Society for Technology in Education.



3 comments:

  1. Hi Issa!
    I also enjoyed Diigo as it was nice to be able to highlight and sticky note anything that I found interesting, however setting up the account was a little bit confusing for me at first! Great posting! Keep it up :)
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Issa!
    Wow I really love the pictures you have used for your blog entry! Like you, I had never heard of Diigo or Delicious, but after signing up and learning how to use the website, I found it quite enjoyable! I think your point about utilizing a bookmark tool is very beneficial when working in a digital context. The T.R.A.S.H test seems like a great resource to have! Thanks for sharing.

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Issa,
    I like the first picture that you created in your blog entry,very artistic . Do you mind sharing what tool you used? I too did not know about Diigo or Delicious until lesson 4, but after signing up I really enjoyed exploring the tool and using it for curating articles I found interesting. There are so many useful tools out there that I had no idea existed until I start this course. What sparked your interest in the article you scooped this week.

    ReplyDelete